Roast Chicken and Vegetables is a classic own family preferred recipe. We roast hen within the oven over a mattress of veggies (carrots, onions, and potatoes) for an entire meal in one dish. I use my famous chicken seasoning and roast until the pores and skin are crispy and the hen is juicy.
Baked Chicken Breasts are super for a quick meal or to pinnacle salads but this entire roasted chook is a whole meal that requires minimal prep work. We love serving it along with some dinner rolls for the right meal!
- 1 chicken 3-4lbs
- 3-4 cups chopped vegetables *see note (carrots, potatoes, onions, parsnips)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped herbs
- chicken seasoning or chicken rub below
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash and chop vegetables. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or 1 tablespoon fresh herbs. Place in the bottom of a shallow casserole dish or 9×13 pan.
- Rub outside of the chicken with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with chicken seasoning or rub.
- Place the chicken breast side up on the vegetables. Place the pan in the oven. Cook 12 minutes at 450°F.
- Turn oven down to 350°F and bake until the inner thigh reaches 165°F. (A 4lb chicken will need an additional 75-80 minutes).
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving. (Return the vegetables to the oven if they need a few more minutes cook time).
Chicken Rub (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
Vegetables: I use a combination of carrots, potatoes onions however, any vegetable will work. If your chicken is on the smaller side (3lbs) be sure to cut your vegetables fairly small so they cook through along with the chicken. This chicken can be roasted on its own without vegetables if preferred.
Calories: 382, Carbohydrates: 6g, Protein: 24g, Fat: 28g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 95mg, Sodium: 133mg, Potassium: 444mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 10870IU, Vitamin C: 5.8mg, Calcium: 38mg, Iron: 1.4mg